The start of the new six weeks have been quite interesting. We have been assigned to create our own prototype with only limited materials. My team, RunnerPro are working with the knee joint. We want a device that is effective, durable and comfortable for the user. I was really looking forward to making the prototype but when it came to actually doing it, it was so frustrating. It was hard trying to make it feel comfortable while trying to make it effective. Another reason why it was so difficult for me to create a model was trying to make the prototype go on the knee without having any struggles.
Our human model for wearing the prototype was Haley. L, who is our team leader. It was hard trying to put it on her and take it off with out having complications (the prototype coming apart). Materials used to make our prototype was socks, elastic, padding (cotton balls), and lots of safety pins. To help limit the stress of having to make our prototype fall apart over and over was that we decided to use a lot of safety pins to keep it together. We also decided to find a way to put on the prototype without having it slide through the foot all the way up to the knee.
By facing our challenges our prototype turned out not perfect but a good start and hopefully done with our first prototype we can learn from our mistakes and create a better prototype in a short matter of time.
Before even starting with our prototype, our class took a field trip across the street to the Hancock Fabric Store. There we learned about many types of materials that could be potential options when creating our real model/device. Other materials that we saw and couldn’t use was the wool. We don’t plan on using wool in our model because of the feel and how wool will affect the user (ventilation). When looking at the different fabrics/materials we really payed close attention of what we should include, was what could be candidates also what we should not include.
We definitely are going to use foam and elastic because the foam (fiber foam) was absorb the shock and also elastic is way better than Velcro because it is said that Velcro irritates the skin.
Getting further in the project our team was split into two groups, one group being in charge of designing the device and the other group creating the device. Group one was to learn about sewing while the other was to learn about 3D printers. I was in the group the was in charge of learning about the 3D program. Dimanique was also in the same group as me and together we learned and trained about the basics of using the 3D on the computer. I had a difficult time getting used to this whole new subject because I had no connection with this subject what so ever, for example, what was in the printer and what I to do with it and to make sure that I make no mistakes. I had to learn so much that it got overwhelming. After awhile of studying about the 3D printers, I eventually had gotten used to this whole new idea. To have a better understanding me and my partner, Dimanique went to the makerspace class to learn more about the Ultimaker and the Taz 4. I found quite relieved to have a physical learning experience. I saw how the Ultimaker looked like in real life, I also saw where things were and what they did, mainly it just made my time spent there useful. Hopefully the more knowledge I gained through my experience will help my team create an effective prototype.