We have currently been working on our prototype for the past few class periods. We have started to set up the knee brace and add some padding to help keep the Patella in place. Also earlier in the process, Cynthia and I got to 3D print some hinges we thought we were going to use in our device. It was kind of sad when I found out the hinges were too bulky and long to use because I was actually really excited when we successfully 3D printed on our first try!!! Overall our prototype is looking really good. Anabel and Annabel have been sewing and Cynthia and I have been
researching and creating sketches of how the brace helps the knee internally.
We have also started to create our ad drafts and a draft of the test we hope to preform to see if our device will actually work for what we created it for (preventing ACL tears). We have gotten feed back from our teacher about some of the ways we can measure force or temperature of our device which has helped a lot. The University of California, San Francisco department of orthopedic surgery stated that full knee flexion is about 135°and hyper-extension is about 0° to 15°. This is good information to know so that when we test our prototype we can see how much movement is be allowed. The website also tells the maximum force the ACL is able to handle which is 15-20 pounds, this really helps because our focus is preventing ACL tears. For measuring temperature we can’t really calculate perspiration, because that’s gross and people sweat differently, so instead we will measure the rise of temperature on the subjects body. WebMD says that the average temperature of the skin is 98.6°F (37°C). Our goal is to stay in this range and not go that much over.
We feel like we are on the
right path, although sometimes we are off task. ACCS is always working hard and getting things done in a timely manner. Sometimes there is miscommunication with each other, but it’s always fixed and things are set back to normal. We have decided to take a small break from the prototype work and fix our drafts that we have done, so when we get closer to the presentation date everything is almost perfect and not much has to be changed. By next class (Monday) hopefully our brace will be mostly done.