For the last couple of weeks the OrthoDocs have been working hard on getting our prototype to where we want it to be. We’ve had a lot of challenges and setbacks while making this prototype but I feel like we are getting closer to what we had envisioned from the beginning. Brenda and Apolonia are the ones who focused on sewing our product and there were some issues when they first started because it had gotten hemmed from the back so it did not fit me in a way that was comfortable. On the other hand Vania and I had tried to make a 3D model of a part of the product that would go specifically on the shoulders, above the padding to add more support and to make it more sturdy. So far we still have to add a buckle and more padding to our prototype in order for it to actually function the way it’s supposed to but I am confident that we will get there soon. We have had to focus on making it clear how our product actually helps the athlete by showing the anatomy of the joint and relating it back to how our shoulder brace is protecting the parts of the shoulder that are often injured and that aspects of the product are meant
to help. The shoulder has a very wide range of motion and it’s important to not restrain the players movement when wearing the shoulder brace because it would obviously affect their performance while playing football. The acromioclavicular otherwise known as the AC Joint is not very known and it’s not something that you can easily feel but movement in
this area is what allows the shoulder blade to pivot and rotate. We want to have more support towards the back of the shoulder blade as well because that is where it can protect the scapula from impact. The scapula has a small indent called the fossa which is where the ball that is located at the end of the humerus fits, forming the shoulder joint which is why it is important to not only focus on the top or “main” part of the shoulder but to also consider the other joints and bones surrounding it. Like I said before we plan on adding the buckle to the front of the shoulder brace to make is adjustable for a wider range of people and we plan on adding the padding to the areas that we are also focusing on and not just the ball and socket joint.
Zaira I am really liking the progress your team has. If i have to be honest, at the beginning of making an idea for our prototype, we had an idea but we weren’t all on board with it. The way you explained what was wrong with your prototype and how you will change it really helped me create a small vision of your third prototype. Like someone once said, third time’s’ a charm. Creating a 3D model is difficult and so is sewing but im pretty sure you guys got it down. Most people (talking about myself) didn’t know about the joint you are trying to protect when we first started this project. The explanation and the diagrams really help further explain what bones, ligaments, joints you are trying to protect. I liked how you provided a sketch of your design and what you are planning to do further in your process before presentations. Keep going! I believe in you all 🙂
Zaira, It sounds like y’all are on the path to success!! You mentioned having some set backs but lets be honest, this isn’t something we would do everyday just for fun. When you stated that your sewing was hemmed from the back, it reminded me of my group. We had started the sew it but completely forgot about the padding that needed to go into the brace, so that set us back a class period but we got it fixed. 🙂 It’s interesting to read about your joint because I’ve been so focused on the knee that I forgot that everyone is working on different joints in the body. During class y’all seem so focused and it’s cool to read about how y’all are doing. Keep up the fantastic work 🙂 ~Savannah