We are currently working on making a hand model to represent the joints, muscles, tendons and ligaments in the hand. Our progress has actually been pretty great. Last class in the maker space we figured out a clever way to represent muscle with red wire. The red wire is easily moldable and foldable. We managed to wrap muscle around the bones we made as well as putting pipe cleaners in between the bones as cartilage.
The direction our team is trying to go is to make as accurate of a hand model as possible by including the accurate ligaments, tendons and rest of the main muscle. Referencing a picture on the Physical and Occupational Therapy website we decided that using sting to
represent the tendons was the best option because we could then be able to pull the string to represent how the tendons help move the fingers.
When looking at another digram from a shared lecture presentation we managed to create the first dorsal interosseous muscle along with others. With help from the diagram we were able to get a better understand of the ligament going across the hand and decided that using a rubber band to represent that was the best choice at well.
Our end product at the end of class today looks like this:
I thought our progress the first work day was good. Making the bones was a little difficult at first and attaching the needed muscles and cartilage was a little bit of a hassle because the molding clay was so small it would tear, the wire would just go through it or the wire was just too flimsy. It was minor set back when we came back the next day to find out the clay hadn’t dried or become hard so we had to work with torn clay, no available creative resource to attach our different parts and the eyewear that always prevailed in giving us headaches but, none the less we were able to figure out a way to make our muscle stay by using pliers to put nooks in the wire to wrap around each other. This class we nearly finished having all our required elements. It was mostly two people of our group working on the model because we couldn’t have all 8 hands doing things because it wasn’t really necessary but the other members of our group were productive with other blog posts or article readings. So over all I believe The Joint Protection Project is on the road to success (if that road doesn’t include anymore maker space glasses) with our model. We just have to do a few minor touch ups and finalize our information card and we’ll be set.