At the Make-o-Rama this past Friday (April 24th, 2015), we presented our fully completed yoga mat storage unit. Due to our lack of available access to space we were unable to attach the storage unit to the walls of the small gym (necessary for our original design).
However, we were able to present our Power Point presenting an overview of our entire project (including the process, the budget, and our plans for the future). We also brought out three of our completed planks along with a couple yoga mats to show the overall concept of our design, and also to give our audience members a real idea of not only how the final product would look, but also how it would feel when held up flat against a cement wall.
Some of our audience was curious about not only our final design but also our process in making it. Inside our Power Point and also in our general speaking presentation, we described to those who were curious, all of the processes we used to create the final product that we did. This included speaking about our design/brainstorming process at the beginning, the creation of our budget and proposal for funding from the school, as well as our use of tools (i.e. the drill press, power sanders, and the band saw).
People generally were very excited and enthusiastic about our project. We had a lot of people stop by to ask us questions, and the feedback was generally positive. We started off thinking we would create a mechanized conveyor belt-style rotating contraption, so our simple but elegant wooden racks are a lot different from our original design. However, if we had stuck with our first design, we would have not been able to achieve our goals and would have ended up frustrated and unfulfilled. Some advice I would give to future students starting a similar project would be to take it day by day and not stress over how overwhelming it might seem as a whole. Focus on smaller tasks that will in the end come together to create an incredible product. It is important to not lose motivation, which is why I would also advise students to take on a project that truly spikes their interest. The more interesting your project is to you, the more involved you’ll be and the better it will turn out. In the end, our product came together nicely and exactly how we imagined it to. Although we were not able to complete all of the racks we had planned due to time constraints and limited materials, we do plan on finishing the rest of our racks before the end of the school year. One major problem we have run into recently is the condition of the small gym. Now that it is closed off, we will not be able to personally install our yoga mat racks. We have decided to leave it here for the next generation of Ann Richards young women leaders to tackle. After talking to Mrs. Jo about the situation, she has assured us that students next year will easily be able to take on this project and install our yoga mat racks, so they will be put to good use. Knowing that our final product will be completely functionable and benefit our school for many years to come is satisfying. Our project is a gift to the school to give back and show our appreciation for all of the knowledge, opportunities and experiences we have received in our seven years of growing here. Our project evolved and changed a lot over this semester. Like a lot of the other groups, we had problems acquiring the necessary materials on time, and we had a high workload for the amount of class time we had. However, although we didn’t completely finish our project, we completed pretty much everything we could given what materials we had. We did have to deal with a few road bumps in our project. Due to mismeasuring, the pegs on some of our planks ended up not matching pegs on other planks. In addition, three pegs were broken off due to our project falling over. Despite that, our project still looked nice, professional, and complete. Except for a few minor exceptions, we spent all our work time in class working hard, and we did a good job of dividing up work equally. Because of all these factors, we give ourselves a grade of 95. This could have been higher if we had had more time, but given our restraints we think we accomplished a lot. Overall, we are proud of our project and can’t wait for it to hopefully be installed next year.