This is Jessica Salazar, and this is my last blog post. I know I said that previously with my bubble mask project but I am 98% sure this is actually my last. Anyways, Make-O-Rama was last Friday and I was able to present my lit jacket. Note how I did not call it a musical jacket. The jacket didn’t deserve such a name because I wasn’t able to fully incorporate the musical aspect to it. I did add a piezo but because I couldn’t place it in certain inputs (due to the conductive fabric and neo pixels) I wasn’t able to make it play a Mario theme song. That’s another thing, I wasn’t able to program the jacket to the tone of the music nor the touch of the conductive fabric. All in all I wasn’t able to do much with it except add the neo pixels and program them to a pac-man theme.
The Make-O-Rama event itself went well. There were a couple of individuals who stopped by and thought my jacket was pretty cool. The lights were certainly bright so it did catch people eyes; however I wasn’t able to fully explain the whole journey to make my lit jacket. I was a bit disappointed about that detail but I was happy people thought it was a good idea and they were impressed by the changes the lights went through. (I tried to add a video but that was unsuccessful, but here is a close up of the piezo and the Adafruit Flora)
Despite the outcome of my project, the only thing I would truly do differently would be to order a color sensor. In my previous blog post I explained that I didn’t have the correct materials, or at least the same materials required in the Instructables page, but I liked learning about the Adafruit flora. Personally I thought that the programing and conductive threat were the most challenging for my particular project, simply because there were many times I got errors and the neo pixels just refused to light up. Other than that I did have fun programing the neo pixels and when they lit up it was really exciting. The website was also very helpful (https://learn.adafruit.com), and by browsing through to find answers I found a lot of cool project on that website and it really made me want to try other things. Had I more time, money, and the right resources I would like to tackle a similar project such as the FLORAbrella. The image below demonstrates the project, and it is just too cool to look at and really fun.
Overall if anyone is interested in doing something similar. I do recommend tackling the project with a friend simply because it decreases the amount of time in a particular section. In addition just having two heads in general can be better than one, especially with problem solving. In addition, it would be even better if they know how to code or program. However you don’t have to know how to code if you follow the steps carefully, have the correct materials, and have patience.
From this project I learned that time management is really important. In the beginning of the semester we had a sheet with all the days we were in class (a calendar of sorts) and the weekend. We were to add all the things we planned to do on that day and what we would bring to class the very next day. I thought it was very cleaver, and I think I would use something similar in college. I’ve heard that college consist of various group projects and having something like that for each person would really help with the organization and time management, which are pretty crucial for the outcome.
All in all this was a fun project, and it was interesting working alone. Thank you to anyone who took the time to read this long blog post and I wish you luck if you decide to pursue a similar project.
Jessica P. Salazar _(-.-)_ ^-^ ^.^ \(^.^)/
ps. I plan to dissemble my jacket because unfortunately most of my materials are the property of the school and I can’t keep them. However it will forever live in my memory through pictures and the pain of the struggles. I believe I deserve a solid 90 because of my accommodations and willingness to try and solve programming issues through pure will and no prior knowledge whatsoever.