At the Make-O-Rama we shared with the students the Makey Makey and our remote controls. We allowed them to experience using the controls by completing different activities on the computer. When the students and teachers passed by, the game on the computer screen caught their attention and they came over. Some would also watch other students play with our remote controls and would be dumbfounded because it was something they had never seen before. They were confused as to how they were able to use the remotes to control the games, which made them more intrigued to find out what our purpose was. We were delighted to see that the younger students weren’t afraid to come up to us, ask us questions and test our product because ultimately that is what we wanted.
Our project at the beginning of the semester was similar to our final product, it had the same concept but the actual design was different. At first we planned to focus on creating a product that people would use with their feet, but thought to instead focus on using the arms since more people will be comfortable doing that. Our inspiration came from the Wii remote controls and the design of those, but after creating them and testing them, we concluded that it wasn’t very comfortable of compatible to people hands, especially if the person had pain in their joints. Then we decided to create the triangle and circular shaped remotes that would be better fitted to ones hand. If we had the opportunity to go back and start this project over again we would test our product with our targeted customers, who were children with Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis. This would allow us to get feedback from them in order to change and improve our product if necessary.
The presentation skills was something we were able to develop during this project and we believe it will be helpful in our college career. The most challenging part of this project was the start, we had to do research on the Makey Makey because this was a new product we had never previously heard of or worked with. Another challenge we had was figuring out who the product was going to help, when we started researching their was a lot of disabilities that our product could help that’s when we decided to targeted to a specific disability that could also help people that had other physical disabilities in their hands.
Part of our project was to create an instructable to teach anybody how to make what we did, therefore we hope that our target audience and everybody from all over the world use the instructable to improve their lifestyles. The instructable was also created for our project to succeed outside the classroom walls and into other places that will benefit from it without having our research, hard work and product go to waste without achieving our main goal. We deserve a 94, because we went into this project not knowing which direction we hoped to go in, therefore we had to do research in order to be informed and create a successful product. Our construction didn’t occur until all our research was complete and it consisted of doing a lot of prototyping and testing. We also were able to successfully create an instructable to showcase our project and teach others on how it can be done.