The Comfort4U team presented our final product, and marketing strategies to the students at the Ann Richards School, at the Make-o-Rama fair. There were all these great products produced at this event, and this was the moment we can show off the hard work that we invested into our project. People’s reactions to our Make-o-Rama display were engulfed in how we were able to produce a seat cushion. Also, they were interested in our plans to further this product and sell it to schools to have the seat cushion over our school chairs. When people tested out the seat cushion, they enjoyed the comfort of the cushion better than the regular school chairs. The cushion was raved upon, which is good to know if there will be a pursue to better the product.
At first, we had to understand back support, pressure points, comfortable materials, and comfort to figure out how we were going to design and produce the product. That was the most challenging part in the research group. Comfort to one person might not be comfort to another. My team had to find a balance to fit all needs. When testing occurred, that difference of opinion was noticed, but our comfort was indeed better than regular school chairs, which was the goal to reach. At first we were going to include a support at the bottom for the feet, but that was not a really big concern because we were more focused on butt and back comfort and support. For the information on the testing of this product, the data is in Comfort4U Data. The cushion was going to be designed together, but was designed separately. In the future, the seat cover should be combined together for comfort purposes and convenience.
If the project was redone, it should be considered that the cushion should not be too thick. Some people had a hard time getting on the cushion at first, especially shorter statured people. The product should use a material that could fit those needs, so one can fit comfort needs as most as possible. Also I feel more testing could have been done, so we could have had enough time to alter any changes that could of been changed. Overall, testing out the seat cushion was enjoyable, because of the interaction between them and the product. It is memorable to see others enjoy something that you helped produced.
This class, helped with the Capstone projects in the spring semester because I knew already how to conduct research, and use techniques to find reliable information. In the fall semester, the memorandums and deliverables helped a lot, to design one for the Capstone projects. The deadlines that we set for ourselves this semester, helped organize and turn in things on time, as it did in Capstone.
The skills that I learned from this project like time management, researching, and outline organization for big papers, will help in college, when I have to do research papers that are 10+ pages long. Also the experience with working with a group with different ideas will come in handy in the future to come to agreements within a group. Advice that I would give students that are in this type of level of work, would be to listen to others in the group and manage your time wisely. There is nothing worse than stressing over something that could have been done long ago.
I feel that the product should be further invested in for next year. This is a big problem in schools, and this could show possible improvement in learning with students. Students should be recruited to perfect this product, and become a product to sell to schools in AISD. With all the hard work that the Comfort4U team has provided, with interacting with the different teams inside the group, and designing something that in the end was a success. There were miscommunication in the beginning, and people in other places, but we were all able to produce a satisfying product that suits the needs of students in a learning environment.