I have been very exited on the project me and Ryanne started. We are constructing a dragon costume for children in wheelchairs. There have been a lot of bumps in out path so far. At first we were a little ambitious and though that we could make two fully functioning consumes. However, we recently came to the conclusion that with our given time left to work we will be able to make one well done costume. We are currently working on the construction of the dragon wings this is so far the longest processes. We are half way done with completing our wings. The materials we have decided to go with include, neoprene rubber (donated to us form the former Guppies Group project), 3/8in PVC pipe, and multi colored spray paint. We wanted to keep the number of materials to a minimum in order to keep cost down .
We have estimated that the materials will cost approximately 40$ to obtain. This price includes; 2x Spray Paints, Cardborad, Neoprene Rubber, 10ft 3/8inPVC, and Acrylic/Tempera Paint. With this we have constructed the body and half of the wings which has taken us almost 23hours. Hopefully we will be 100% done with the costume in under 30hours. This amount of time could allow a parent to easily get the costume constructed in three 10hr work sessions (or six 5hr work sessions). We want to make a project that is both cool in design and easy in construction, so that anyone could make it.
One really cool discovery that we made while working with the neoprene, is the way it picks up color. We found that by mixing a gold and red spray paint on its surface give a leathery look(as seen in the picture on the right). This adds a special and realistic effect to the wings that we are using the neoprene for. It’s been really fun working on that part of the construction. Right now our biggest challenge is working the attachment of the neoprene to the PVS. We are going to see if hot glue can act as a well enough binding agent, and if not we are going to see if twin would have more support.
Overall I am very exited to see the end product. We have worked very hard on making everything work together. The goal is to be able to present the costume at the first ever ARS Makers Fair. So until then we will continue to make progress.
Post Done By: Angelic A.