Recently, because of a change in the structure of the Biomedical Design and Entrepreneurship class, I have joined forces with another classmate in order to create better costumes for children in wheelchairs. So far, we’ve done a lot of small things, but today, we started to work on the more physical aspects of our project. When we first started this endeavor, we focused on looking up especially creative designs people is wheelchairs (or their parents) made for different events the most common of which was Halloween and Cosplay conventions.
Just to give you an example of what it means to make a costume that is specifically designed for a wheelchair, I have given you a couple of examples below (Note: all of these images come from The Independence Center website):
- I really love this design, not only because it was Cinderella themed, but because little lights were strung up in the carriage which gave the whole costume in fairy tale feel. Notice how whoever made this costume incorporated the wheels of the wheelchair by twisting vines through the spokes.
- This costume is interesting to me, because when I first saw it, I forgot that a wheelchair was the base of this design. It’s amazing how the designers of this chair made the drum set light enough for the child in the chair to be comfortable, yet inclusive of the whole chair. Rock on little man, rock on.
- Cute. That is the only way to describe this design. Image an ice cream truck rolling up your front walk on Halloween ready to collect candy donations! Whoever made this costume got especially innovative, adding more wheels to the tuck besides the ones already provided by the wheelchair. And look at the rack of ice cream cones on the stand towards the back of the truck. This is amazing.
So, as I was saying earlier, my group started to work on the more physical aspects of our project today. We decided that we were going to make a costume for boys ages 8 to 10 (we’re still coming up with an appropriate age range) of a little dragon. After this decision, we cut two large strips of butcher paper for ourselves, and taped them to a wall where we then proceeded to look for an image on google of a dragon, and then projected the image onto the pieces of paper and traced the image onto the paper. Next time, I believe we’re going to make the lines we traced thicker and then cut out the shape and make it sturdy with strips of wood.
Anyway, thanks for reading my blog post, and please be sure to keep reading about my groups progress with the dragon costume.