A new year accounts for a new project and for fresh ideas. After Hestia presented the Hestia baby blanket to a panel of judges, we came to the conclusion that we wanted to start a new project. Hestia is no longer Hestia, and we are no longer creating a baby blanket, however our team continues to be made up of Nissa Martinez, Georgia Hernandez, Lourdes Cruz and I (Dayanne Acosta). We were passionate about the baby blanket however we believed that we weren’t going to be successful.
When we came back to school after winter break, our teachers gave us alternative ideas if our team didn’t want to continue with the projects we were originally working with. One of the ideas included creating a 8th grade biomed module. For the 8th grade module, our team had thought about teaching the students how to extract DNA from a strawberry. My team mates had conducted this experiment during our 9th grade year. This activity would teach the students how DNA can be isolated from a strawberry using common household materials. Extracting DNA from a strawberry is fairly easy and would be fun for the students. For this module we would create a presentation where we would teach the background information surrounding this lab (the importance of our DNA and etc.). Along with the presentation we would also create worksheets that the students would fill out while they are conducting the experiment. Since I wasn’t familiar with this experiment, I did some research on the procedure of the lab. While researching I found various websites that were helpful. The website that was the most helpful was the Genome website. This website gives clean instruction and diagrams for the procedure that can be easily followed by the students.
We were interested in this idea for about two weeks, however we changed our mind when Ms.Jo presented to us a different project. The project that Ms.Jo had in mind for us to do was creating an item that would incorporate lily pads. The LilyPad Arduino is a microcontroller board designed for wearables and e-textiles. It can be sewn to fabric and similarly mounted power supplies, sensors and actuators with conductive thread.
We conducted research on items that incorporated the LilyPad Arduino, and one of them included a beanie. On the website instructables, there are instructions on how to make the beanie that would be powered by brainwaves. Because of this design, we wanted to create a beanie. We are still unsure on what other elements we are going to incorporate to the beanie because we wanted to create a beanie that would be used by runners. We wanted the beanie to have a sort of GPS incorporated in it to track the distance and the place that the runner is heading. My team mates all have different ideas on what the beanie’s function would be.
We then approached a different idea when Georgia consulted with Ms.Miesner. After Georgia talked to Ms.Miesner, she came up with the idea of creating a headband that would replace earphones and headphones. One of the most popular headbands for girls right now, are the headbands that go over the ears. This would be a great item to include the LilyPad Arduino into.
All of the ideas that we have come up with are great but we have to make up our mind and choose one. We would love to hear back from you guys. Possible ideas would be great and feedback is welcomed!