Now that we have finished with our Design Proposal, we are now entering the making stage of the ARS maker cycle. I’m sure this is the stage that we’ve all been waiting for as we get to finally make our product. This six weeks Comfort4U will be focusing on creating the prototype for our design. The team was able to get together with Ms. Miesner to discuss our design proposal. Ms. Miesner was great at giving us great feedback on what went really well in our design proposal and what needed a few adjustments. Overall, she was pleased with our design proposal and the team was really glad about that because of all the hard work that was put into it.
However, as we were having our team meeting with Ms. Miesner, we discussed the probability of actually creating our product. She told us that overall it would be quite difficult to make our entire chair design as it will be very time-consuming as well as a little pricey. This doesn’t mean that our design wasn’t innovative and unique, this just means that we really needed to consider how the team would actually create the chair with the budget and time we did have. We definitely agreed with that Ms. Miesner had to say, and she suggested for us to focus on a single area area of our chair design in terms of which one is more important in meeting the customer needs. Comfort4U decided that we would create a chair attachment for the school chairs that already exist. This being said, we would innovate this chair by providing the comfort that our customers need while at the same time still keep that one quality that the chairs already provide, which is stack-ability.
The chair attachment we decided on will provide the comfort that relieves both back and butt pain. We decided to create a foam cushion for the back and the butt. Comfort4U took the dimensions of an everyday school chair so we could create our chair attachment that would fit according to those dimensions.
The team has also been working on ordering the materials that will be needed for our design. Comfort4U came across a foam that was extra comfortable from which we ordered from a website called Foamology101.com. We also ordered a blue vinyl fabric that will be used as a covering for the cushion, and buckle straps that we will use to attach the chair attachment to the chair. As a team we were able to decide what we needed, the quantity, and the price. We needed to chose carefully because Comfort4U only had a budget of $93 for the materials.
Overall, Comfort4U is really exited to finally create the design that we’ve been really working hard on. We can’t wait to see how our prototype will come out.
Leave a Reply