To begin I’d like to express the excitement we have as a team to know that we are about to start putting our prototype together. We have been looking forward to this day for a very long time. Although we have had some rough times in our path we know that overall we have a set goal that we would like and know can accomplish. Yes, we are just teenagers but together we know we can accomplish anything we set our minds on. We also have great support from our sisters, teachers, and we have resources we can go to so we have our starter pack ready! Which like on twitter includes what is needed to succeed as star makers.
Hestia sat down together and discussed what our budget was and how that would work with the material we would need. We talked about how whether we should consider resubmitting our deliverable in order to gain more points and have a higher budget. But before doing so, we went on Hancock Fabrics to look at prices to determine if we would need to resubmit but thankfully the price ranges were actually not that expensive.
Today, November 17th we talked with Ms. Miesner about how we wanted to go to Hancock Fabrics ourselves since the store is about two minutes away and because we didn’t know exactly how the fabric would feel. So we have decided to plan on going to the store and looking at the fabric and determine which one we’d like to use. We would order our fabric after thanksgiving break. We also changed our mind on the going out to buy the fabric because it would difficult for the school since there would be other paperwork necessary, it’d take longer for a reimbursement and taxes would not be reimbursed which was not a big deal for Hestia.
Ms. Miesner also advised that for our prototype we create it out of cheap fabric so that we have an idea of what it will look like and not waste material which was such a great idea for us because we have no idea how exactly we are going to sow it together.
We decided that for the material inside we’d be using a foam material which would be of 18X18 and 2 inches thick. We will be tracing out the design of the blanket, and will then wrap it with our fabric to show an overall idea of what our device will look like. We well then evaluate it to see if it successful to then determine if we will use the same sort of process for final prototype or if we should modify some parts.
Overall aside from the decisions made in the past two weeks our group is really excited to see what the outcome of our project is!