This week has been very productive. We have been working currently in the background research for our idea. Let me remind you of what we are trying to do. We are trying to innovate a safer bathtub to help customers be able to feel safe while bathing and to prevent possible injuries. As we progressed our research during class I encounter with a very helpful website that Ms.Miesner recommended to us ADA Standards for Accessible Design. Not knowing that the website would not only provide useful information of the requirements for bathtubs, we also notice that it had requirements that our possible solution that we had thought of might be affected.
Like for instance one of our ideas from the start had been adding handles inside the bathtub, but after our interviews we had planned out that having staggered handles similar of like stairs to help the customer stand up would be a perfect solution. Not only because it would help the person stand slowly not having to hold from just one handle would be helpful. But also allow the customer to hold onto the handles if at some point they slipped. And the fact that the handles would be staggered it would allow them to hold onto them.
It also then specified where would the handles be allow to be located at, which was either in the back wall or control end wall. This was somewhat of a problem because we had plan initially to locate the handles in the side wall in certain way like I said before. But the requirements specified that the handles had to be measured and placed in certain way. I then took a look at the requirements for the bathtub seats permanent or removable in-tub seats and like the handles the requirements made us realize that we needed to rethink our possible solution.
After our research we then decided to move on, the name of our company had been an issue, and after realizing that our product could possibly be used by not only the senior citizens. We decided to expand our customers and seek solutions for just about anybody experiencing problems while bathing. Our task had just expanded and we needed to get started in our Design Proposal. Although we had been researching it wasn’t going to be enough we had been strictly focus in a group and now we needed to collect more information we then decided that we would each have a task. As the engineer my task was to collect all the specific measurements to present to my group and decide which solution would suit the project more efficiently. In the process I had to come up with our Logo. The logo had to represent us and what we were trying to do but most importantly be creative. After many rough drafts our group finally agreed in one.
Overall this week we’ve faced multiple challenges,but we hope that we can finalize our solution soon.